Monday, December 11, 2006

Bienvenue to my blog!!!

Bienvenue and Welcome to my blog!! I have been wanting to do this for such a long time and am happy to be finally getting around to it.



Paris is a beautiful city. I took this photo of the back of Notre Dame cathedral and the Eiffel Tower as I was walking back to the subway after eating out for my birthday. The beauty of Paris just kind of sneaks up on you!

This first post is just going to be a little introduction to my life over here. Paris is divided into numbered neighborhoods, called arrondissements, and I live in number 10. The 10th arrondissement is what is called a "quartier populaire"- or "a people's neighborhood." That means there are lots of families and little shops, and people who are living out their everyday lives. It isn't a tourist neighborhood it's just 'real Paris', which is one of my favorite things about it!

Here is a picture from our apartment.



We really like it even though it's small. Everything in Paris is kind of miniature, actually. There are rules about how high buildings can be in the city...it is only like 6 or 7 stories. So, more and more people want to live in Paris but they can't build up...so they divided and re-divide the space they have and rent and property is very expensive. I don't mind having a small place, it is comfy and cozy. The only thing that I REALLY miss is an American style kitchen....oh, how I dream of counter space and dishwashers and real ovens.

We live on the rue du faubourg Saint Martin which is a nice and lively street...



Literally just down stairs there are several bakeries (i.e. ready access to more croissants, fresh bread and pastries than anyone should ever eat!), a couple 'fromageries' or cheese shops, several grocery stores, a couple of butchers, some little boutiques, a couple of rotisserie chicken places, several fruits and veggies markets...



... a flower shop...



...and tons of little cafés, bars and restaurants.



So, I think I'll leave it at that for today. Just a little introduction to where I live and to my blog.
Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope to have another post up very soon!

No comments: