Saturday, August 11, 2007

My Trip Home


Well, here I am sitting in Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport, waiting for my flight ‘home’ to Paris. I really do feel like Paris is ‘home’ for me…but I also feel like I have been ‘home’ visiting my family and friends during these past six weeks. I’ve been living in Europe for most of the last four years, and have learned to redefine what ‘home’ means. It’s a lot more than a house or a place to hang your hat, and it’s a lot more than the stuff we buy and put inside to fill it up or decorate it. To me ‘home’ seems to have a lot to do with love and acceptance. Home is a place where you can go to be yourself, to take a break from the world outside, where you can regroup, rest up, eat well and sleep well. These past six weeks I have most definitely been ‘home.’ It’s been great to see everyone and I’ve done so much since I arrived here in this airport on June 27th. One of the most important things that has happened since I’ve been home was the marriage of my sister Angie.

Angie Sherwood is now Angie Hudy (pronounced Hooody- like the blowfish) and I am certain that she and Greg are going to be very, very happy together. The wedding was outside of Milwaukee, where they live and where Greg grew up. My sister was absolutely beautiful and everything went so perfectly…everyone had a wonderful time, ESPECIALLY the happy couple!! Bruno came with me to the wedding and he had a really good time, too. I think he really liked experiencing an ‘American wedding’. It was so good to spend a few days with lots of family from all over the country.

No comments: