Tuesday, January 16, 2007

One of The Biggest Tourist Destinations in the WORLD...


Last weekend we celebrated Bruno's 26th birthday...he is exactly 2 months younger than me and now we have both crossed over the line of 25 and are officially closer to 30 than 20. whoa.

It's crazy how fast time passes. I got to thinking about his birthday last year when we went to the Mont Saint Michel. He was all astonished/appalled that I didn't know about the Mont Saint Michel...he kept telling me it's 'like one of the biggest tourist destinations in the WORLD.' Dear readers, have you ever heard of the Mont Saint Michel? Back me up here, people! I keep trying to tell him, "Hey, I am an American. I am lucky I ever made it out of the country at all and that I know how to locate France on a map."

The Mont St. Michel was actually a really cool place. It's basically like a big 'mount' with this small, almost medieval village and a big monastery on it. It is out in the middle of nowhere in Normandy and when the tide comes in, water surrounds it and when the tide goes out it has quicksand all around it. We spent the night in a little hotel in the village and it was really neat because it was January and the off-season and it was pretty much empty. There are obviously no cars or anything, just these tiny little winding streets. It was very quiet, and a night it was very foggy and dark and we could see so, so many stars.



When we got back from the trip I was talking about it with my friend Jeannine.

Jeannine: Hey cool! I didn't know there was quicksand around the Mont Saint Michel!

Tina: Yeah, totally. (I give her a look that says, 'Ahh, poor little Jeannine. Must I explain everything to you. I mean, it IS one of the biggest tourist destinations in the world!')

Jeannine: I did't even really know quicksand really existed.

Tina: Really? (Poor, poor Jeannine.)

Jeannine: Yeah, I thought it was just kinda made-up, didn't you?

Tina: No. (I give jeannine the self-satisfied smile that says: I am so smart!) I knew it existed. It's in The NeverEnding Story.

Jeannine: You based your knowledge of quicksand off THE NEVERENDING STORY?

Tina: Um....yeah.

(Jeannine gives me the 'I still like you anyway' look.)

(I give Jeannine the 'I'm very grateful' look.)

Well, a year has gone by and Jeannine and I are still friends. She’s living in Japan now. I'm still in Paris, Bruno and I are still together and a year older. And hopefully a little wiser…

1 comment:

AJ said...

Weird, I just had a dream about that place (it was in the count of montecristo movie)...the tide was coming in and Joel and I were trying to make it there before the water got too high! I never thought about going there myself, but now you've made me curious.